We were in Coimbatore last week. Our first time at work with Zoya in tow. The humidity was killing, otherwise very manageable. But, Singh got bitten by a red ant. It fell from a banyan tree onto his arm. One of those on-steroid-type-length varieties. That ant was huge! His arm swelled up and was red and itchy.
What does one do in such cases other than eating anti-allergy tablets?
– Apply an ice pack to numb the arm so that you don’t scratch it.
– Rub a dry bar of soap or a little toothpaste over the itch.
– Make a thick paste of baking soda and water and apply a layer directly over the bite.
– Apply full strength Lavender Essential Oil over the bite.
– Rub fresh lemon on the bite.
Here is a herbal alternative to the mosquito repellant creams available in the market:
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 tbsp dried basil crushed
- 1 stalk of dried lemon grass
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp Lavender Essential Oil
– Dry the basil and lemon grass in the shade for a few days.
– Mix the vodka, basil, lemon grass and cinnamon stick in a covered jar and let it sit for 10 to 15 days.
– Strain the mixture into a bottle of your choice (i love the squirty types). Add the lavender essential oil to it.
When you need to use it, just dab a bit onto your hand and rub it onto the exposed body parts.
It’s alcohol, so keep it away from your child’s eyes and mouth.
I also love the electric mosquito swatters. When Singh waves it around at night, Zoya gets to see “Bat Man” in action.
UPDATE – Adding 10 to 15 drops of Citronella Oil is good.